Friday 12 October 2012

Piran

Having missed a lot of the really nice weather here in July and August I decided to go and find some sunshine before it really becomes autumn here too. I love the sea and decided to take a trip to Piran. As most of you will have read, Gemma and Richard visited in July. They gave good reports so I made some plans.

I found a lovely apartment with a fabulous sea view. Would highly recommend it if anyone is thinking of travelling there! I tried out the slovenian buses which seem to be very reliable. The bus goes from near the end of our road to Ljubljana and there I changed for another bus to Piran. The connection between the two buses was 12 minutes but I needn't have worried as the bus arrived exactly on time! Buses here are more like coaches at home and nothing like the 'happy bus' we have at work - thank goodness.


View from my apartment

When I arrived it was a little cloudy but after some lunch the clouds cleared to give way to beautiful sunshine. Only one thing to do - join several other people and go for a swim in the sea! Couldn't believe how warm it was especially in October!














There are lots of restaurants to choose from along the seafront all with similar menus. However, I decided to try a restaurant in the back streets recommended by Lonely Planet. This was very good value and I had a lovely seafood risotto and a glass of wine. I was shocked when I got the bill at how cheap the wine was - will have more next time!

The weather was nice throughout my stay in Piran. Walking round the town and harbour is very easy and picturesque. You can never get lost even in the backstreets - keep walking and eventually you will find the sea again. As well as several restaurants along the seafront there are a number of bars with an unopposed view of the Adriatic. I spent an enjoyable afternoon looking at the sea and enjoying a glass of wine or two!!

Walk to Fiesa beach
I did manage a little more exploring - walking along the coastal trail to Fiesa beach and up to the city walls. Good views from both!
View from the city walls




 
 
I did also try the seafront restaurants and the food was good there too and not as over priced as I had expected!
 
The only place I felt as though I had been slightly ripped off was the aquarium. They have 140 species of fish found in the sea off the coast of Slovenia apparently. It was 6 euros to go in and it was very small. Not as impressive as I had hoped. My visit was not helped by a school party full of very excitable kids arriving about 15 minutes after I did. Most of the other visitors including myself beat a hasty retreat to the peace and quiet of the harbour!
 
Overall Piran is a lovely place to visit and great for a few days by the sea. Maybe I will go back again sometime?!


No comments:

Post a Comment