Wednesday 7 November 2012

Prague

Prague was on my list of places to visit so I started looking into how to get there and places to stay. I found that you can get there by train from Bled fairly easily with a couple of changes in Salzburg and Linz. Journey takes a little over 10 hours. Next job was to find reasonably priced train tickets. Individually the tickets seemed very expensive (over 200 euros!) so I went to see the very helpful staff at Lesce Bled station. I found out there are a limited number of 'Prague special' tickets for only 39 euros each way! Only 6 are available each day but I managed to get one which was great value. I would definitely recommend talking to the station staff as they can often advise on great deals which you can't find online!!

The Czech Republic still has its own currency so I ordered some Czech Koruna from our local bank and I was all ready!

We had snow in Bled the day before I was due to go to Prague but luckily it did not hinder my trip at all. Most of the snow in Bled had melted during the day but it wasn't really a problem anyway as they clear the roads and paths so well here! The view from the train was beautiful going through Austria as there was lots of snow on the mountains. Part of the train journey was through a tunnel which came out on higher ground and we were surrounded by snow. Very picturesque! No problems with the trains here though - would be all cancelled at home!!

I was lucky with the weather in Prague; bright and sunny on my first full day if a little chilly. Saw lots of the sights. Prague is a great city and its easy to walk to most of the major sights although there is a good metro and tram system. I decided to walk to see as much as I could.

First stop - Wenceslaus Square which is more like a big street than a square with a large monument at the top then lots of shops! This included all the ones from home - M&S, Debenhams, Subway, KFC, and some we haven't seen for years like C&A!! I resisted a shopping spree and went on to Prague Castle.
St Wenceslaus Square




St Wenceslaus Statue

The castle grounds include lots of buildings and there is loads to see. You can buy one ticket which allows you into several attractions. St. Vitus Cathedral was impressive; full of beautiful stained glass windows. I climbed the South Tower and found a great view at the top. Worth the spiral staircase which made be feel slightly dizzy!! Also worth a visit here are the Old Royal Palace, Basilica of St George and Golden Lane.

St Vitus Cathedral

Stained glass windows in St Vitus Cathedral













View from the South Tower of St Vitus Cathedral















The food and drink was reasonably priced - beer similar to Slovenia; about 2 euros for 500ml :-) Needless to say I sampled one or two different ones! The shops in Prague were similar to other cities - lots of tourist tat amongst the clothes shops! However, there were a couple of street markets selling pictures and christmassy bits and pieces. I enjoyed wandering around these and made of couple of souvenir purchases!

The famous Charles Bridge was as the guidebook warned - full of people! Picturesque though with statues all along each side of the bridge.


Charles Bridge

















Another place worth a visit is the Old Town Square. The square is full of historical buildings including the Astronomical Clock. This is housed in a tower (which of course I climbed up!). On the hour the clock chimes and the 12 apostles appear at the windows. Crowds gather below the clock from 15 minutes or so before each hour to watch!

Astronomical Clock


The square also contains lots of bars and restaurants and outside heaters. I enjoyed goulash and dumplings outside next a very warm heater!

All in all I would recommend Prague as a great city to visit!





No comments:

Post a Comment