Tuesday 29 January 2013

Christmas & New Year in Bled

I apologise for the lateness of this post, but January just seems to have gotten away from us.  But as I now want to write more blogs about our exploits I thought I had better catch up with an overview of Christmas.  As I mentioned previously we had managed to get into the Christmas spirit with a baby Christmas tree, a few decorations and a visit to the Christmas market in Ljubljana.  However, the important stuff of organising a Christmas lunch was still hovering over me!  I had not seen any whole turkeys in the supermarket, I could not find stuffing mixture, and there was no custard for dessert!  It would be a disaster!!!  My plan was probably for a roast chicken with Potica cake for after (a Slovenian Christmas speciality). 

We went shopping on the friday before Christmas (I never go to supermarkets on the weekend before Christmas after a disastrous saturday in Asda in London one year - never again!).  Amazingly, we found a fresh turkey - what excitement.  I'd found a chestnut stuffing recipe and got all the ingredients, and my mother came for a christmas visit and saved the dessert by bringing some custard powder.  I had experimented with making custard from eggs, sugar and milk etc, but it hadn't gone well and was too thin. We did have to do without parsnips though, much to Richard's disgust, though I don't like them so that was fine by me!  So Christmas lunch was more english than I had orginially thought.  The stuffing took ages to make as I had to chop loads of roast chestnuts - I appreciate stuffing mixture a lot more now.  And there was the usual issue of the dinner takes five hours to make and is eaten in ten minutes!  However, the turkey was excellent, (it must have led a good life) and the Potica cake made for a Slovenian finish. 

After lunch we walked into Bled for the Christmas entertainment, they had a show of medival dancers, sword-fighting and fire-swallowing.  It wasn't snowy, as the previous fall had melted, and it wasn't as cold as I'd expected so we had an enjoyable time.


 

After the show we walked further round the lake to see the Legend of the Sunken Bell re-enacted.  The story goes that Lord of the castle died and his widow commisioned a bell to be cast in his memory for the church on the island.  However, when it was being rowed to the island a huge storm struck and the bell and the rowers were sunk and died.  In her grief she moved to Italy and became a nun.  But years later when she passed away, the Pope commisioned a bell and it was finally installed on the island. The story is told at Christmas each year and they had a lighted bell that sank into the water, and another on a rowing boat at the appropriate moments of the story.  Finishing off with some fireworks - of course!

New Year was celebrated with more entertainment in Bled - on the Sunday we had an excellent fire-show, with lots of twirling and huala-ing, and New Year's eve we had a live band playing by the lake and lots and lots of fireworks.  The town was as lively and cheerful as in the summer, but with us all wearing more hats!







No comments:

Post a Comment