Saturday 19 May 2012

Learning Slovene 2 and sorting out the mortgage

Most people think of me as someone who only has an interest in sport, alcohol and with a tremendous sense of humour! True as that might be, I am also starting to learn a bit more Slovene and hope not make too much of a doughnut of myself when we get out there to live and I try to speak the language.  

Been going through colours, numbers and first words this week and the only ones I have difficulty remembering so far are the colours (except siva) and the word for bathroom. Whereas Gemma is doing OK with her numbers but her accent is more like a dubbed film that Slovenian, at the moment. Mine is generally a mix of Italian, German, French and Austrian.
But we are getting there.

As for the mortgage, we thought we had a good deal being 0.09% above the base rate on a tracker mortgage, which Gemma found, and most people would think that I would not pay much attention to this. However, I recently proved my worth as we decided to ask the building society if we could take a 10 month mortgage break and they came back to us and said no we could only take 6 months, as per our contract. They did not count on me being a pedantic so & so and I set about looking through the small print of the contract. On reading through it I thought I had found a loophole but when I called the Skipton the person did not seem to grasp what is was that I wanted and said he would send me out a budget form if we could not make the payments.

On receiving the form I was more convinced than ever that the person had got it wrong and so armed with all manner of bits of paper I called the Skipton again and spoke to a wonderful lady who was keen to help when I told her what we wanted to do. She said she would need to clarify everything and would call me back. Thought I would have to wait for a while so I decided to do some ironing. Just then the telephone rang and it was the lady from the Skipton saying that as our original mortgage was with the Chesham Building Society it meant that we could take the 6 months payment break as well as 4 months paying 50% of the mortgage. Oh happy days. Who knows what I would have said and/or done to the lady if she were there in person.

Moral of the story is find an extraordinary mortgage to start with and then if you want to query something get the "cluesless" person to check things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment