Saturday 18 August 2012

Cycling around the lake.

We have been here for a month and a half now and after watching the Olympics on TV I thought we had better try and be healthy (for once) and so we brought a couple of bicycles.

Shortly after buying the bicycles I thought I would see what it was like to cycle round the lake via the main road and some foot/cycle pathways. I think I got a bit carried away as 7 "laps" later I decided to stop, but only because it was time for lunch. Now some of you may think that 7 "laps" is not much but each "lap" is 6kms which means I did 42kms in one go which I thought wasn't too bad for a "beginner", especially as I hadn't really taken my bike out at home for the best part of a year or so.

For those who may wish to know:
a) I was not too saddle sore.
b) It took me just under 2 hours to do. This was about twice as long as it took Bradley Wiggins to take the Olympic time trial gold medal but then I wasn't really going "hard" and I was on a second hand mountain bike which is not condusive to fast times.

I then decided to do the same thing a week later only this time instead of cycling in 25 degree celsius heat I decided to do it in 30+ degree celsius heat and to do it over two legs.

First up was the morning section where I rode 4 "laps" in just about an hour and 14 minutes. I was just about to start the 5th "lap" when I saw Gemma and her mother and I was "forced" to stop for some lunch and a bit of rehydration (only squash this time!!).

The afternoon saw Gemma and her mother go off to sun themselves at the lake which gave me an opportunity to do a further 5 "laps" in about an hour and 32 minutes. I would have done a further couple of "laps" but I saw Gemma and her mother by the lake looking very hot and in need of some rehydration so I thought I should stop and assist them with this. This time it was a couple of beers!!

In all I did 9 "laps" for a total of 54kms. Again not too bad for a novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment